Did you know that the most common name for a man in Mexico is Juan Hernandez? Or that Mexico City is sinking? We thought not! Here’s a list of 16 things we’d bet you never knew about Mexico!
1. Mexico is officially called Estados Unidos Me
xicanos, or the United Mexican States not simply “Mexico”.
2. As an independent nation, Mexico is the 5th largest in the Americas and 13th largest in the world over all!
3. Of all the Spanish speaking nations in the world, Mexico is the most densely populated with around 113 million people calling it home.
4. Before the conquistadors of Spain came along, Mexico was ruled by the Olmec, Toltec, Teotihuacan, Zapoteco, Maya, and the Aztec!
5. Mexico is now among the biggest economies in the world. This is partly because they are the largest provider of high quality silver in the world!
6. Mexico is now the 10th largest provider of oil in the whole world!
7. According to UNESCO, Mexico comes in 6th for the total amount of World Heritage sites found in one country!
8. Spanish is Mexico’s most widely spoken language, but did you know that there are 68 officially recognized Mexican indigenous languages.
9. Geographically speaking Mexico is actually a part of North America.
10. The oldest woman in Mexico claims to be 127 years old! If anyone could find her birth certificate, this would make her the oldest person in the world.
11. While Mexico was still a Spanish Colony there was a time when Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Utah and California were all a part of it!
12. Without Mexico you wouldn’t be able to eat chocolate, chillies and corn!
13. The US-Mexican Border is the second largest political border in the world.
14. Mexico City was built by the Spanish over the ruins of Tenochtitlán; a great Aztec city.
15. Mexico City is actually sinking at a rate of 6 to 8 inches per year because it was built on the site of a large lake.